Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Tisket, A Tasket, A Bicycle With A Basket

I wanted a vintage bike. I love that cruisers are back in style and much easier to find these days.

The bike I really wanted was this one...


and we even went to the store to pick it up, but unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be) they didn't have any, and weren't sure when they would be getting more. I was disappointed, but not surprised, after all, I NEVER get my birthday present on my actual birthday, it's always several months late (B isn't the king of planning ahead).

But in the end, it turned out to be a good thing that the store was out, because I started researching the bike online and found out that it's a piece of junk. It has a lot of problems, and is apparently quite hard to ride unless you are riding on a perfectly flat surface. Hmmmm good to know!

So in the end I go this bike...


I asked the guy at the bike store if they had baskets, he took me over and showed me some little back pack looking saddle bag things and I told him "No, I want a basket, on the front of my bike." He said "What? Like the Wicked Witch of the West??"


Well....yeah! Of course they didn't have any and I went home empty handed.


I did however stumble across a basket at my local thrift for $1!!! I snatched that puppy right up, ran home and stuck it on my bike. The only problem was, that as I was bumping along the road on a bike ride with the boys one night, my cell phone fell right through the big gaps in the corners and crashed down onto the pavement, it's all scratched now.

I figured I would need to find some way to line my basket to prevent further mishaps.

I was terrified, I don't think in dimensions, I am a linear person. I can do great with quilt blocks because they are all flat. I didn't do so great in home ec when we had to sew three dimensional objects.

But, I hopped on google and did a search for "Basket Liner Tutorial" and came across this post by Sew Mama Sew. It's well written, easy to follow, and has pictures if you are a visual learner like me.


I was able to figure it all out from her tutorial YAY, and also figured out how to line it, and make little cut outs to go around the handle. I'm not a complete idiot after all! I even put a little pocket in the liner so that my phone has it's own little happy place to hang out.


So head on over to Sew Mama Sew if you ever have a basket to line! Just tell her I sent ya! (Not that she would care because she has no clue who I am anyway... but whatever LOL)

5 comments:

DottieLou said...

i was totally thinking wicked witch when I first saw the picture of the bike... even before the basket story... lol.. good job happy riding ... Happy Birthday

Lima Bean said...

Thanks so much for posting your comment on Sew Mama Sew and also for posting the picture of your basket liner! You have no idea how much I love to see the finished product from people who were able to use my tutorial. It looks fabulous.

I also have three boys. Mine are ages 6, 3 and 2 months--isn't life just crazy with three boys? But lots of fun too.

Kristine

Jennifer said...

Hah! That pink bike is the one I have-I got it at Target! See-we were meant to be friends!!

Unknown said...

Cool basket liner! Thanks for posting that. It's a far cry from the Wicked witch...

I love reading the "other" Keeps Me in Stitches blog!

Happy Birthday

Shanae said...

That is adorable! If you come across another basket, do you want to make one for me? I am, after all, your favorite sister :)