Friday, June 13, 2014

Stitch til you Twitch

So I went a little crazy.

It all started the day I stumbled across this on Pintrest


Does it make your heart flutter when you look at it? It does mine! At first I thought it was done on pegboard but after visiting the site, I found out it was a rug made by an artist and cross stitched on wool padding. It's also horrifically expensive, at least for my budget.

That didn't stop me from loving it however.

Fast forward a few months and we are cleaning out my grandma's house to get it ready to sell. My grandpa, who has been gone for 15 years, was a cabinet maker, and while we were working in his barn/shop out behind the house, I found this piece of peg board and I knew instantly what I wanted to do with it.

I dry brushed it with some mis-tint paint from the hardware store to make it look like linen, then got to work. The entire family worked on this project. I would sit in front of the board putting the needle through, then my helper in the back of the board would push the needle back through the hole that I indicated with my finger.

I feel pretty impressed that all three of my teenage boys took time to help me with this, and even my husband. I have great men in my life!

The only problem? It's huge. 4'X5' and I can't figure out what I'm going to do with it now. I sure do love it though! The neatest thing about it is how it changes depending on what angle you view it from. If you catch it from the side it's very saturated and vibrant. As you move around to the front, it's more washed out and water colorish. Give peg board cross stitch a try, it's so much fun, I am trying to figure out where I could possibly hang another one =0P

6 comments:

carla said...

Hi!!! Wow!!! That is awesome!!! Very ingenious!!!! Wow!!!

Mrs. JP said...

It's amazing...you are so creative.

Unknown said...

? What pattern did you use?

buddiejet said...

I just came across that same wall hanging and had the same reaction ...my heart fluttered....I love what you did and you inspired me to try my hand at it thx

Robin S said...

I am in the process of redecorating and reorganizing my teenage daughters room. While taking a break from painting the thrift store furniture we selected to replace some tired IKEA pieces, I was browsing through pegboard ideas to see if I could find anything that would be both beautiful and functional. Wow! You have inspired us. I have so many ideas now. Pegboard is very affordable and this type of decorative affect is relatively easy and inexpensive as well. I think it hits all the major positives for most people. Brilliant.

andreah said...

So I desperately want to make one of these. Where did you get your pattern? I'm looking, but not finding the perfect thing. Mine needs to be about 76 stitches wide by 47 sts high.