Monday, July 28, 2008

And They're Off...

So today, the boys and I set out bright and early, full of excitement, and a little trepidation.


It was the first day of school, in their brand new school. You can still smell the fresh paint smell, the plastic covering is still on the little nubby yellow things where the sidewalks dent down for the cross walks (did you follow that?). The paint on the playground is brand new and un-scuffed. No broken playground equipment, no finger prints on the windows. It was magical I tell ya. Ok, maybe that's stretching it a little, but it was certainly cool.

It's kind of exciting getting to go to a brand new school and seeing the citizens who worked so hard to make it happen be so emotional as the doors open.


We had a flag raising ceremony, and a ribbon cutting ceremony this morning just after school started. All the classes got to come out and gather around the flag pole, they even showed it on the news.

I have high hopes for this year. There are less than 1,000 kids in this school. In fact, I think there are only about half as many as at their school last year. YAY! And I didn't have to fight to keep the twins in the same class this year because there is only ONE class for their grade on their track....not three. There are not fourteen second grade classrooms at this school, there aren't five relocatable buildings, no record breaking student population, no 35 minute bus ride before and after school, they can actually WALK and get there in less than five minutes! I can see the playground and hear the recess bells from my yard. I can hear the PA announcements well enough to understand what they are saying. Can you tell I am excited? If I want to go read to the students after lunch it doesn't take two hours out of my day with drive time. I am so excited to be so close to the boys school! I think it will make a huge difference in the level of parental involvement. At least I hope so.

On top of that, the boys teachers seem fantastic. K's teacher is so upbeat and perky, a big difference from the teacher he started out with last year. Lets hope this year is much better for him. He came home so happy today, it did my heart good. And the twins didn't have enough good things to say about their teacher, they love her so far.

It's just good to hear good things about school for a change. Not to be one invisible face in a sea of faces. To actually have an identity and a Principal who vows to learn every single student's name (Lets just hope she learns K's name the hard way because he ISN'T in her office this year!)

0 comments: