Friday, July 17, 2009

Shoo Fly, don't bother me!

PF came wandering into my sewing room today and asked if he could sew something too. I have let him just go crazy with some scraps in the past and he will sew it until it can no longer be sewn, but today, I thought maybe it was time to branch into something different, a little more complicated.


We found a simple quilt block, named Shoo Fly, and he decided he would like to try it. Luckily I went through my fabric last month when we moved my sewing room and pulled out all the cheap, yucky fabrics (Think walmart fabric) and put them in a little tote for days when the boys wanted to play.


We pulled out some fabric, I showed him how you cut it, line the ruler up, how to be safe with the rotary cutter etc, but I cut it out for him. Then I showed him how to line it up on the sewing machine so that your seams are the right size and turned him lose.

I am sad to say that my ten year old's first block is better than my first block!


We were originally going to make it into a pillow, but now he is thinking he might like to try a few different blocks and make a little blanket to hang on my quilt wall. I told him that would be fun, and he could point it out to people and tell them that he made that quilt.

Now PK is jealous and wants me to teach him too... I told him "Maybe tomorrow...I can only handle so many students at a time LOL"

4 comments:

**MIGNONNE** said...

Okay that block totally rocks! I have said this before, but I need to say it again, you have the most beautiful boys! He is looking so grown up. I love that he is sewing. Love it! Awesome job.

Turtle Taylor said...

I am beyond impressed! LOVE IT!

Jackie's Stitches said...

What a cutie he is! And he's showing me up in the quilting department. His block is perfect!

Shanae said...

Wow! Maybe I'll have him do Az's quilt :)