Saturday, September 29, 2012

Flea Market Fancy Fractured Star

This week has been one of our crazy ones at school and by Friday, when I had worked overtime almost every day, I was burned out. I was feeling guiltily relieved when I drove my boys to the church Friday afternoon and dropped them off for Scout Camp. Does that make me a horrible mom? I was to that point where I was so tired that all of their noise this weekend would have made me cranky and I would have been snappy and not such a fun mom! I think the timing of that Scout Trip was serendipitous!

Anyway, since I didn't have to spend the morning begging, pleading, cajoling, growling, and snapping to get my boys to do their weekly chores, I spent it in my sewing room instead =0)

I am working on this little quilt for the Denyse Schmidt Doll Quilt Swap.

This fractured star is one of my favorite patterns to make with left over triangles. I think this is the first time I have ever made this pattern with triangles I have made specifically for this pattern! It lends itself so well to scrappiness and when I saw something similar in my partners mosaic, I knew this was what I wanted to make for her. I wasn't sure of the gray at first, but since she asked for gray background I kept going and now that it's done, I like it a lot, it lets the colors stand out more so than white would. My original plan was to do a wider border of the large yellow floral, but now that it's finished, I see the border would be overwhelming and take away from the quilt, rather than add to it, so the border will not be added.

Now I just have to figure out how I want to quilt it. Ah quilting, not my favorite thing. I much prefer piecing.

3 comments:

Josie Passell said...

The boarder you added really finishes this lovely block/small quilt.

gale said...

Beautiful. I love the look of the brights next to the gray.

carla said...

Hi!!! It is sew pretty!!!!