Saturday, May 10, 2008

Quilt Expo

My mom and I went to the quilt expo today. It wasn't as amazing as I thought it was going to be, but it was fun, and my mom was in heaven.

There was also a quilt contest as part of the show and I enjoyed looking at quilts more than the booths.

There was one cool booth though, they had fabric bundles. Five one yard cuts of fabric all folded together and tied with a ribbon. They were so cute and best of all only $32. That is less than $6.50 a yard! I bought one that was in reds and blues. I fell it love. The booth was one of the first we visited and I was able to make myself put the bundle back. But as we wandered around all day, I just kept thinking of that red and blue fabric and when my mom had to go back to the booth straight across the isle to get her purchase (they were holding it for her) I wandered back over and I wasn't able to set it back down the second time. I had no idea what I am going to make with it.

I also bought some rulers that make the diagonal lines across a square with a 1/4" seam on either side much easier. I can find the center and draw the seam line on either side without having to move the ruler. That is going to make things move much more quickly.

And here are a few of my favorite quilts from the show...


This quilt is like the quilt my Great Grandma used to make. She only ever made this one style that I am aware of. My mom was a quilter, so when my Great Grandma died, my mom got all of her fabric, including a few partially pieced tops. I hope to inherit one some day so that I can finish it and have a little piece of my Great Grandma with me. My mom got a little misty looking at this quilt. I know this pattern holds a lot of fond memories for her as well. I love the way it seems to move when you look at it.


This one had some amazing applique! The letters were beautifully done.


This was our favorite "kid" quilt of the day. Too much fun!


And even a Baby Jane
I wish you could see this one in person, the quilting is just astounding. Each block is quilted individually and it is so detailed, such a tremendous amount of work in one quilt. I hope this woman has a long line of family members to pass this on to who are going to cherish it for the treasure that it is. The blocks on this quilt are enough to make it a huge undertaking without such detailed quilting on top of that!


One of my personal faves. I love the old fashioned looking quilts the best. The more modern quilts don't do it for me, and there were some seriously WEIRD quilts at this show, I wish I had taken some pictures of them so you could see them. Just weird I tell ya!


The princess in me was drawn to this quilt. It is beautiful all on it's own, but there are little sparkly gem "Diamond" gem stones glued all over the quilt. It shimmers in such a magical way, I just wanted to stand there and stare at it.


A stunning whole cloth quilt.


And to close, one more gorgeous traditional quilt.

We also celebrated my littlest one's eighth birthday this weekend, aka all week long, how long can you drag out one birthday anyway? I will post more about that later, I am tired and headed for bed.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Liz said...

The quilts at the show were lovely! Sadly, I haven't been to a show in over a year. Happy 8th to your little one!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

I can't wait to see what you make with the red and blue fabrics! You are lucky to be able to buy your fabric for such a cheap price - nice quilting cotton sells in Australia for $22 per metre. I have takent o buying most of mine online from US but it isn't the same as getting to see and feel the fabrics. I went to a craft and quilt show yesterday with my Mum and 11 yr old daughter. I am feeling tired but inspired to start some new projects! Lisa