Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The ball is rolling!

Yay, I may finally be coming out of this crafting slump that I have been in for months, and all it took was a can of spray paint. Who knew?

I was so happy with how the frames turned out that I decided to tackle this shelf. Remember how drab and nasty it was? Who on earth would paint something so pretty such a yucky gray color? Of course maybe they just figured it was a HUGE improvement over it's natural mustard yellow color *blech*.


On the same day that I bought the aqua spray paint I bought this can of pink. It's called Ballet Slipper Pink and it's by Krylon and I don't know what I'm doing wrong but this paint HATES ME! The blue is fusion (Aka made for plastic) the pink was not, so I bought a primer and primed my pieces first, but even then this paint took about five coats (and it's still not covered very well) and it runs off just like water. I was so frustrated by the time I was done. Luckily the shabbying (is that a word?) covered up how blotchy it was for the most part.


The little frame I just kept going, it's got so much spray paint on it now that it has hidden a lot of the little details. And the brown isn't as dark as it looks in the pictures, it's just in shadow so it looks a lot darker than it is. It looks more like the shelf.

Anyway, when all is said and done, this has convinced me that all white frames is the way to go, I don't have the patience to paint things 35 times and still have them look bad.

At the end of it all, I am happy with my pretty pink shelf. I am going to put in on my dresser in my bedroom and put my tea cups and saucers on it. Not too bad for $3 and a can of paint eh?

Now I just need to find some way to subtly highlight the anaglypta paper in the back of the shelf without destroying it. Any ideas?

5 comments:

em's scrapbag said...

Your little shelf is adorable. It will look great with the cups and saucers.

Liz said...

It looks perfect for cups and saucers! Post a picture of it up and full please!

Anonymous said...

The shelf turned out PERFECT, I love it! I can't wait to see it with all the lovely cups and saucers (I looked for some for you at the DI last night, but nothing good was there).

Jennifer said...

I can't believe you got that shelf for $3!! I finished my first swap for my 'angel'! I can't wait to show it to you! What's your email? I don't want to post it, just in case she sees my blog!

Fleur de Bee said...

Found you! Oh I do like that color of paint! Mine is more Candy Pink. I was trying to be whimsical in my daughters bedroom...she has some variations of pink in it I was trying to bring out. I think the shevles are hard to paint!!!! Mine had this nasty attempt of cream to make it more Shabby but it was all wrong. I tried one coat of light pink spray..I think it was the same color you have. Both of mine are by Krylon too, but I did the second paint to make a pop and it was just what mine needed. I cannot imagine why someone would paint yours such a bad color. They really are such pretty little shelves!! I want another!! $3 wow...mine was $24...you scored!! I got ripped off LOL!

xx Molly