Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Odd Mom Out


I picked up this book because the premise was something I could relate with, a mom who doesn't quite fit in.

I do have to say that if I wasn't desperate for something to read I probably would never have finished this book, it took me a loooong time to get into it.

The beginning of the book is about a single mom and her daughter who move from New York to Seattle and the daughter has no friends, she is desperate to get in with the "In" crowd and blames her mom for the fact that she doesn't fit in. The mom is different and she doesn't care, she rides a Harley and doesn't do the room mom thing. The daughter thinks this is why the popular girls don't want to be her friends. About 30 pages in I just wanted to grab the little girl by the shoulders and say "Popular girls are being jerks because you give them the power to treat you like crap, they aren't going to accept you, give up and make other friends, you are acting pathetic and it's getting on my nerves!"

The book does get better about half way through when it is no longer journaling the daughter's pathetic attempt to weasel in with the popular girls. But the ending SUCKS. It gets you interested and then all of the sudden, without further explanation it just ENDS. I hate that!

0 comments: