Sunday, November 9, 2008

Gratitudes

I can't believe how much time manages to slip in between posts. My life is so much busier these days, but hopefully now that we are off track for a month I will have time to catch up on all the little things that seem to slip by without me being able to catch up to them. Things like; Laundry, house keeping (My kitchen floor is looking pretty scary these days), blog reading and writing, craft projects etc.

It seems everything has fallen behind and I have so much to catch up on.

For today, I am taking things easy. PK is at a sleepover with his Grandma (My MIL). I spent Friday evening and most of saturday with my mom and sister, today I am going back to my mom and dad's house for Sunday dinner which we do every week and it is thinking of these things that leads me to my gratitude for today...

I am grateful for my family, the one I had before I got married and had kids of my own. I am grateful for our relationship. I hear of so many families who don't get along, who haven't spoken to one another for years, who have hurts that just can't be mended, or issues that they just can't be bothered to work past.

I am grateful that my family is very close, that we are all good friends, that my husband has a great relationship with my parents, that he likes to spend time with them as well. I am grateful that my husband and my brother in law and my dad share hobbies and have things to talk about with each other and look forward to spending time together.

I am grateful that my mom, sister and I share hobies and love to spend time together.

I am grateful that my children and my sisters children are friends, and they get excited to go and visit one another.

I am grateful for my sister's inlaws and how they are just an extension of our family. There is no separation barrier there that says they are HER inlaws and therefore not connected to "My" family, we are all just one big family.

I am grateful for B's family and that while we have not always had the best relationship, we work together to put the past behind us and build a new relationship. I have enjoyed being friends with my Mother In Law again.

I'm grateful that as I have grown up I have realised that creating a family is all about combining traditions, it's about bringing my traditions and combining them with B's and making our own traditions. That the way I grew up doing things isn't necescarily the best way to do them, just the way I learned and that finding new ways to do things isn't bad, or turning my back on my family, it's about creating a new and improved way of life for myself, my husband, and my children.

In short, I am grateful for family, I feel blessed to have the family that I have and our close relationships with one another.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Family is what it's all about! I love it when we can all get together.

Melissa said...

I was thinking those same thoughts, but you have a great way of vocalizing them.

Anonymous said...

We do have a seriously GREAT family! I'm grateful for you and your family too!