Saturday, January 10, 2009

Thrifted finds

It's been a long time since I have shown you my thrifted finds. Mostly because it's been a long time since I went to my favorite thrift store.

I went with my sister a couple of months ago when I went to visit her, and then I had to leave my things at her house for a while because of space issues in our car coming home.

Then I went again the other day with B, it was even his idea which surprised me. I think I may be converting him :D

So here are my treasures collected over the last probably 4 months...


A gorgeous Fenton Commemorative Milk Glass Plate.
It says 1776-1976 at the top and along the bottom- "Proclaim Liberty Throughout All The Land". It shows a man ringing a bell, a woman looking over the gate of the bell tower waving a flag, and another man with a cane and a tricorn hat.

On the back it says...
Issued January 1, 1976
Number four in a series of four

Official
United States Of America
Bicentennial Commemorative Project
of the
General Federation of Women's Clubs

"Proclaim Liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof" Two centuries later this same proclamation still rings. The Liberty Bell with its simple inscription has become one of the most cherished and revered symbols of American Freedom.


These cute USA plates to go in my family room that is all decorated in Americana. Do other countries have whole decorating themes based on their flags or is that just an American thing? I don't know because alas, I have never been out of the country, except to Tijuana and I don't think that really counts, although crossing the border freaked me out a little. I was in high school and on tour with a Youth Symphony group. What they were thinking, unleashing roughly 150 loosely chaperoned high school students on a city like Tijuana, is beyond me.


Some new reading material. And I have already started writing in one of them just in case I am allowed to join the next round of SDBBE


A train sign for the boys' "Man Cave" which is what they have started calling the play room. Apparently it's all about trains, and race tracks and "No Girls Allowed" (Shhh don't tell them, but that's fine by me LOL Although I will miss getting to play Air Hockey)



Some unfinished wood. The shelf is for my bedroom, I will paint it white and hang it above my dresser. The little cabinet will be either aqua, or red, and will go to my sewing room to hold cute little jars full of buttons.



A little wire teapot for my kitchen. A big wire book basket for the boys' room (For $1, can you believe it?), and a new scripture case for me. I have wanted one for years but have been too cheap to buy one. This one looks brand new and was only $2.



I am nothing if not wishy washy. I saw this yellow stool and immediately loved it, but I passed it by because it was $3 and that is my limit, for some reason I hate to pay $3 for something at a thrift store. So I left it there. But by the time we got back to my sister's house that night I was kicking myself "Why didn't I buy the dang stool, I have wanted one for a long time, B hasn't gotten around to building me one in the past ten years, and it was $3). I wanted to go get it, but their thrift store is clear across town, which is pathetic because even though her store is "Clear across town" it's still closer to her house than my store is to my house LOL Anyway, my sister got tired of me whining and called the store to see if it was still there, it was, she asked them to hold it and told them we were on our way. I'm glad, because I really do love my yellow stool.

When I went with B the other day we snagged the Harry Potter boxed set for my son who has started reading them. I also got a milk glass spice jar, a glass candle stick and plate that I am going to clue together to make a little cupcake plate, and this cool red star for the shelf in my living room.


So here are my treasures all together. The picture frame in the middle, I love. It will either go in my bedroom, or be gifted to my sister, her house has a garden/beach theme. Maybe I will fill it with pictures of ME before I give it to her *Wink*

2 comments:

Robyn said...

i love your star!!

Anonymous said...

Love it all! And any thrifted treasures are ALWAYS welcome at my house! Especially if we can smuggle it in without Joe seeing it LOL