Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Reading

You know? It's really sad that I am a reading teacher and yet two of my three children are poor readers. Is that along the lines of the cobbler's children having no shoes? Is it because I am so tired of listening to little children stumble through passages that the thought of listening to my own children read is more than I can bear?

Nope! There is nothing I love more than reading with kids. Ok, maybe there are a FEW things I love more, like waking up without an alarm clock, or banana cream pie, but that's beside the point.

We spend more than an hour a day reading around these parts. We start out at 7:30 when we all pile onto my bed to read together. I read to them for 30 minutes (usually longer) from whatever our selection currently is. We have recently finished Nim's Island, and The Tale of Despereaux, and are now starting The Sisters Grimm books. So far we have really enjoyed it (Which reminds me, I need to head for the bookstore to pick up book two).

After I read, that is when the trouble sets in. It is really hard for a struggling reader to get into a book. It's hard to be engrossed in a plot when you are trying too hard to sound out words, but the books that are easy for them to read are only 20-50 pages long and are finished too quickly.

The problem is that the books my boys are able to read are "Boring" and they can't get interested enough to stick with it.

I told K that I would buy him a treat every time he finished a book. He finished his very first chapter book about two weeks ago and is now half way through his second. If all else fails resort to bribery right? Which is also why I am allowing my fourth grader to read Twilight. He has BEGGED me to let him read it, but I always said no. Now I figure he can read Stephen King if he will actually sit and READ! I am desperate!

4 comments:

Bill Cobabe said...

You're amazing! No, really. You inspire me... My kids love to read and Elise reads scriptures and chapter books already. I don't think it has anything to do with parenting - each child is different. I know grown adults who will not read - they just don't enjoy it... Nothing wrong with that. Well, a little is wrong with that - they're missing out on a lot of good stuff available through books...

Like I am missing out on that banana cream pie. Save me a piece, will ya? I'll be right there with my fork...

Kim Walus said...

I have the best series in the world for kids ages 8 and older. It's called Deltora Quest by Emily Rodda. It's been out for quite a few years now and I've been reading it with my fourth grader but, I couldn't wait for her before finishing the 8 books in the series. Then I moved on to the other two series within the entire collection of 15 books. The books are great and will even keep you as an adult interested. It's got a lot of puzzles, riddles, and adventure along with a few surprises along the way. I can't begin to tell you everything about it and you'll want to experience it as you go. I'm an aide in 2nd grade and our teacher loves to read and actually read this book to her second graders. It's more geared to 4th graders as far as grade level reading but if you read it to them you will capture there interest. We did a book order through Scholastic for the series ($18) and 18 out of 26 kids bought the series. Many parents have been reading and a few mother's have finished the 8 books. It's been fun to see the kids inspired to read. Even the lower readers are catching the vision.

Check them out. I don't think you'll regret it.

Amy Sorensen said...

I second Kim's suggestion. I was going to say the same thing! Deltora Quest is a GREAT series for boys!

Liz said...

Have he read Arthur and the Minimoys? or Dinotopia? Two good ones for boys. My son is really enjoying the Dragon Slayers Academy series (hubby is reading them aloud since my son can't read yet.)