Saturday, October 3, 2009

A little Sewing

While browsing around online I saw the cutest quilt. I wish I had saved a picture of it, or the link to it so that I could show you. I can't even remember where I saw it.

But the point is, I liked it. It was simple, and yet striking. Sometimes I forget that simple is just as nice as complex and sometimes, even nicer. I loved that you were able to see what the fabrics were and that the colors were the focus, not the pattern of the piecing. I decided I needed to make one and happened to have lots of Halloween fabric on hand.


Today while watching LDS General Conference on my computer, I put this simple quilt top together. I really like it! A funny story though. As I laid the blocks out the other day, I worked so hard to make them random. After about 20 minutes of rearranging blocks, I was finally satisfied and took a picture of the layout with my camera. It was only after I uploaded the picture to my computer that I noticed that my perfectly random pattern wasn't random at all, but went in kitty corner stripes. I can't even be random when I TRY to be.



Another funny story. I was piecing away, intently listening to the conference speaker and out of nowhere a hand appears on the side of my sewing machine cabinet and places a little bouquet of flowers beside my sewing machine. My son had crawled in on his hands and knees so that he could surprise me. He surely did, in fact, he scared the crap out of me, it took about five minutes for my heart to cease pounding. This sweet boy, the one who eats, sleeps, and breaths guns, explosives, and fire power, sweetly picked a little bouquet of flowers to surprise his mommy. Melts my little mommy heart, it does!


When the quilt top was finished, I grabbed a T-shirt that I had bought at the local thrift and set to work on this tutorial from Floral Showers. I must admit that it wasn't as simple as I had expected, and it took me longer than I thought it would, but I like it. It's a nice rusty red color, perfect for Autumn decor. I still need to stuff it, but am out of stuffing, so it will have to wait. (Pictured here with some recent thrifting finds).

I have also made one Three Musketeer Tabbard. I made the neck WAY too big, so I will have to figure out how to fix that, but at least I know what not to do on the next two, and I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Sounds like we did pretty much the same thing yesterday. I worked on a Christmas quilt while watching conference. But I didn't have a sweet little boy bring me flowers, lucky you! Its sounds like he will make a great guy for some girl many years from now!!!

DottieLou said...

i love the halloween quilt

Anonymous said...

You've been busy. I need to make my Halloween thing. My fabric is taunting me.