Sunday, July 18, 2010

Books

It's been a long time since I posted about what I'm reading, and it wasn't because I wasn't reading, just because I forgot. I do that a lot...forget things. I hate that.

Right now I am reading book club selections. I am currently in two book clubs.

#1- Our neighborhood Bookclub
We take turns chosing books and we meet at the park at the top of the hill and chat, and have treats. I look forward to it every month. I love these ladies. We are currently taking a break for the summer, next month is my month to chose the book and I have chosen Cane River by Lalita Tademy. It's about several generations of slave women and though it's kind of an epic novel, it's one of my all time favorite books. I love books that make me see things from another point a view, and consider it in a new way.



#2 SDDBE- I don't even know what that stands for, but this is my first time in this bookclub. These ladies are all spread out and I am just now getting to know them. The interesting thing about this book club is that, since we can't get together to discuss the books, and we're not all reading the same books at the same time, we write our thoughts in the books. I can't wait to get my own book back and see what everyone thought of it!

The girl who mails to me lives in Reno, Nv. It's like Christmas getting packages in the mail, don't you think? I just got her book in the mail a few days ago and she has chosen "Walk Two Moons" by Sharon Creech. I am really excited about this book. I was subbing in a classroom last year and the teacher was reading this book to her class. I read several chapters of it, and it really intrigued me, I wrote down the title of it so that I could hunt it down later and read it, now I don't have to because It's Apryl's book this month. She has done the hunting for me =0)



And MY book choice for SDDBE is another Juvenille Historical Fiction (I love historical fiction, can you tell?) It's called "Someone Named Eva" and it's about the Holocaust, but in a different way. This young Czech girl is kidnapped from her family and taken to a center where she is trained to be the perfect German girl because her blonde hair and blue eyes fit the Aryan Ideal. She is then adopted into a German family where she feels torn apart inside because she's trying not to forget who she really is, but starts to love her German family, who are kind to her and treat her like their own daughter. It's an interesting look at both sides of the picture, and you really can't decide how you feel for her other than sympathetic.



Have you read any of these? I would love to hear what you thought about them!

3 comments:

The Young Family said...

I can't wait to read all of these!

Mrs. JP said...

Oh, I love to read too. Currently, I'm reading (actually finishing) a Francine Rivers series about the women mentioned in the lineage of Jesus; Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba, and Mary. Biblical Fiction is my favorite because the culture is so different and it gives me more insight.

Melissa said...

Thanks for the book suggestions. I'm always looking for a new read. My website is www.myvinyldesigns.com. I haven't spent any time lately creating anything new, but if you don't see what you want, let me know and we will design something for you.