Wednesday, September 15, 2010

One Flower Wednesday

Welcome to One Flower Wednesday. When I started this hexie journey, I was whipping out hexies lickety split and thinking I was going to have this quilt done in nothing flat! Then I realized that it's actually a lot of seams to sew just to join one flower, and now I am realizing that this little quilt of mine is so much more involved than I ever dreamed.


I have found my groove on assembly though and despite those first torturous flowers, things are going much more smoothly now. Well at least until I try to add the next row anyway. I am going to try to be really random with this quilt, I may have to throw all my hexies into a bag and just sew them as they come out because I am going to drive myself nuts otherwise trying to get everything evenly spaced when I don't have an equal number of flowers in each color. Some colorways like green, I have a ton, while others, like aqua, I have very few.

Anyway, I have seven flowers in my first row assembled so far. I plan to make my quilt either 11 or 12 flowers wide, gonna have to see how it fits on the bed before I know for sure. I want to make it a full/queen and use it in my guest room (Someday, don't have one yet LOL).

19 comments:

BAK said...

Lady, you are crazy. These are gorgeous!!

Angie said...

One flower at a time and you will soon have a whole quilt!

Sandra said...

Looking good! I couldn't get the link to work on the sign-in either:(

Jeanette said...

Your hexies are very lovely. Jeanette

Amanda said...

It looks great!! You'll see that it was worth it once it's finished.

Karen said...

Looking beautiful!!! And, like Angie said, one flower at a time!

Ellen said...

I sympathize! I am working on my second quilt ever. A rag quilt. When I first started it seemed so easy. Then I realized that what I measured for wasn't really the size I wanted. My summer picnic quilt may get done for next summer :)

Kate said...

Your flowers are looking fabulous..I am doing the same but as yet have to work on the white pathway...You have inspired me to tackle the first row of 11/12 with random colours..Thank you...Kate x

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your flowers are beautiful. You are ahead of me - I have yet to start stitching the flowers together. I still have to decide on the background fabric - lol! I'm attempting the same size quilt as you - let me know how many flowers you need in the row for the size you are making.

merumo said...

Very pretty with yummy colors! Happy gardening!!

Mimi Sue said...

I love your grandma's flower garden quilt. One of my favorite patterns. Thanks for coming by and saying hi. I'll be back. Mimi

katrien said...

OH,lovely your hexaflowers.

Lizz said...

Wow! That's going to be amazing! I wish I had the patience for quilting...

Cynthia said...

That's gorgeous! It's gonna be amazing when finished (or it will make a great table runner now). I have bits and bobs of a pinwheel quilt I started YEARS ago and never finished. It's got a ton of little trapezoids. I may (or may not) work on it now that my machine has a home again in my new craft space.

Are you going to do the 'shop hop'? I've meant to go every year but haven't done it so far.

Wingnut said...

I am so, so jealous of talent like this!!! This is going to be one gorgeous and amazing quilt!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

You go girl! I LOVE the fabrics you are using! Just so cute!!

xoxo
becky

Nayala said...

Tus flores están hermosas... Sos muy ordenada al trabajar... Yo nunca lo logro y me aburro hasta de las líneas rectas... La dueña de ese quilt va a estar orgullosa de poseer ese tesoro.

Maria said...

I just had to come by and tell you thank you for your comments! I hope you don't mind, but I took your comment about the temple and added it to my post, you just said it so perfectly! Thank you! Thank you!

Melody said...

Your flowers are beautiful.