Saturday, July 16, 2011

Another Swap quilt

Another round of the Doll Quilt Swap has begun! This is seriously my favorite swap!

Our theme this time is "Back to our Roots" so they want us to go back to making a mini quilt, something that looks like a shrunken version of a full size quilt, rather than all the art style quilts that seem to have become the norm for the group. I am really excited about this. Piecing tiny blocks and making tiny quilts!

When I first started swapping, I would get so attached to my quilts that I would cry when I sent them away to someone else. I solved that problem by making two quilts instead of one. One to send, and one to keep.

That's what I did this time.

I made 148 1 1/2" HSTs to start. Aren't they cute? They were a booger to iron, I burned my fingers several times trying to hold on to them because they were so little!


I was making this quilt based on one I had made several years ago. Here is the original...

This quilt has MUCH against it!
1- I made this when I very first started quilting, and since I was a self taught quilter, no one had taught me how to match seams or make my points come out right.
2- This quilt was made from waste corners on another quilt. When I cut the corners off of the blocks on the real quilt, I couldn't bring myself to throw them away. Trying to match up 1" triangles that have not exactly been carefully cut from another quilt...I'm amazed it turned out as good as it did! LOL
3- It's in primitive colors, which fit my decor at the time I made it, but most certainly does not now!
4- I never could figure out how to quilt is, so I never finished it. Oh who am I kidding? I never finish anything LOL but I still don't know how to quilt it!

That being said, I love this quilt. It hangs on the wall next to my computer desk and I sit and look at it often (and cringe at all those chopped off corners!) So when this theme same up, I decided "HEY, it's a chance for a do over!" and I was off an running.

I got all my HST's done, then pulled my original quilt from the wall to use as a guide, and started laying out triangles. It wasn't until I got the top section sewn, and ironed that I realized....

I FORGOT THE PINK! Major oops!

Well, I wasn't about to rip all that apart, so I laid all my blocks out and made sure I had enough squares to make a quilt with pink, and one without. I did! So once again I started sewing!



I love love love how this turned out! I wish it had more red than it does, but I had to use most of the red in the other quilt. I still like it though!

I'm kinda hoping my partner will choose the one without the pink (Or maybe I will just send her the other one and not give her a choice LOL) Only one problem remains...I still don't know how to quilt it *Sigh*

Check back soon (maybe later today) for the finished top in the other color way. Putting that one together is my plan for the day!

That, and vacuuming up the carpenter ants that are swarming and coming in through my badly sealed window right now ICK!

Luckily this is a spring event. I will come down in the morning and my curtains will be covered with them. They tend to stay on my curtains, so I just spray the canister on my vacuum with ant spray, then vacuum them all up. Voila, cannister of dead ants! It will be like this every morning for a week or so, then I won't ever see another one til next spring. As bad as I hate them, I guess it could be worse...like spiders or something LOL

1 comments:

Mrs. JP said...

I love your little quilts. I'm inspired to make one of my own. I am also encouraged that there are so many quilters, like me, with stacks of unfinished stuff.