Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Well, hello there!

Wow, it seems like I have been gone forever, and I wish I had tons of fun things to show you, things that I made in my time away, but sadly...I don't.

This year I was very ambiguous about Christmas, I just didn't really care, and because of that, there was an acute lack of home made gifts. I did make a pillow case for my sister-in-law, and a commissioned quilt for a cute little three year old girl, but that's it.

I was contacted in October and asked if I would be willing to make a doll quilt for a little girl for Christmas. My gut reaction was NO!!! I have made quilts for other people in the past and it has never gone well. They don't appreciate them, or recognize how much time, effort, and love goes into a hand made quilt. But something in my heart told me to say yes this time. Maybe it was the idea that I would get to make something pink and girly when I have all these boys at my house =0P But I did say yes, and I am so glad that I did. Laura restored my faith in mankind. She showed genuine appreciation for my work, and I felt so much better making this quilt for her, than I have for any of the other people I have made them for. It was a really good experience for me.


This is the quilt that I made for Laura's little granddaughter.


I even made a little matching pillow, with pillow case, from the scraps =0)


I also joined in the holiday mug rug swap. I sent this mug rug to my partner.


Along with a little bracelet with sewing themed charms that I made.


And received this cute little mug rug in return...


Went to the first band concert for these two (Don't worry, I finally broke down and cut their hair!)


Played board games with my boys, went Christmas caroling at the nursing home on Christmas Eve, had family dinners, and played more games, sang more carols, tore my sewing room apart to instal the 8' counter top that B gave me for Christmas and then had to put it all back together again (Still working on bits and pieces of that) and finally sent the boys back to school at the end of Christmas break with a big sigh of relief that it was all over with and life could get back to normal!

How was your Christmas?

2 comments:

Mrs. JP said...

That quilt is just lovely. I've missed you. I'm glad you had a good Christmas. It sounds nice.
I did a bunch of mug rugs in the fall and am still loving them. I must get back into my BIG quilt and finish it. I'm at the putting it together stage and have stalled big-time!
Happy New YEar!!

Laura said...

I am so thrilled that you said yes! And yes, I do recognize how much work goes into a handmade item! The quilt is beautiful and I say thank you again!