Sunday, February 3, 2008

1930's Possibility



For the last year or so I have been collecting 1930's prints. Also known as feedsack, or floursack prints. They are fun, bright, and whimsical and I love them.

I found the quilt above on ebay. It was part of a Quilt Pink auction (Charity quilts with the money going to Breast Cancer foundations) and I loved it. It looks so complex but when you look close, break it down into blocks, it is amazingly simple. Just the thing I was looking for!

So here is the plan. I have a nice butter yellow solid, and a white with blue pin dot background. I am going to do the stars in the butter yellow, and the X's in the feedsack prints. I have all different colors and patterns and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

The thing is.... I am terrified to start. What if I make all these blocks and I don't like it? What if it's hideous? I mean, I generally have pretty good taste. Well I don't like to say, but my friends always tell me so. (LOL Couldn't help myself, I watched Emma the other day and Mrs. Elton always cracks me up with the way she brags about herself but says "She doesn't like to say so, but her friends are always telling her.....") Anyway, I always second guess myself right out of starting something. So far there has only been one quilt that I put together that I truly did not like when I was finished. Luckily it was a cheapy made with Walmart fabric so I wasn't out much. But it has shaken my confidence.

But really, how can you go wrong with feedsack prints? Really!

I need to just take the plunge and get started.

But....but.... my fabrics are so pretty, what if I ruin them?

I woke up this morning determined to get started, then let fear cripple me. *sigh*

How do you force yourself to do something that scares you?

0 comments: