Sunday, February 3, 2008

Finally Some Good News


When my dad took my grandma up to the hospital today, they had my grandpa out of bed, sitting in a chair and he was talking and actually making sense.

This is such great news!

My dad has been so scared and worried and upset all week, he has actually cried and there are only three times in my life I remember my dad crying. One was at my Great Grandma's funeral, once was after the twins were born and he was so worried that we were all three going to die, and once was at Thanksgiving when he was talking about how frail his dad is getting. But he has cried pretty much several times a day this past week and a half.

It's really really hard to see your dad cry and know you can't do anything to make it better.

I get to be the one to sit and keep my grandma company tomorrow, none of her kids are able to come tomorrow. As much as I hate hospitals, I am looking forward to spending the time with my grandma. We are kindred spirits I think. We are both crafty, we both like to sew and we both love vintage hand crafts like crochet, and tatting, and smocking, and such. The only difference is that she actually knows how to do all of that. She was teaching me how to tatt several years ago, but it's hard when she lives 150 miles away. Then I had three babies and all my tatting time went out the window and I have since forgotten it.

They teach a class at Mormon Handicraft though and I would love to go take it. Maybe when I am done with my needle turn applique class (Which I am beyond excited for!)

On a good note, it appears that being majorly worried is good for quilting. I have to have something to keep me occupied so that I am not just sitting here stressing. I have five blocks done on my 1930's quilt and another nine half done. I am doing them in smaller sets so I don't get my pieces all mixed up. I have four prints in each color and it's just too confusing to try to keep them all straight. Another thing I have learned, I like smaller blocks better. When you make 12" blocks and each piece is 4 1/2 inches, it's too hard to keep them square, the fabric stretches too much. Plus, the blocks just seem so HUGE, I am not sure I like it. But each block on my quilt is a different fabric, 40 different X squares. I can't wait to see it all put together, I think it is going to be so bright and happy.

On that note, I need to go find something to work on at the hospital tomorrow. Gonna go check my embroidery patterns, embroidery luckily is very portable!

Have a great day everyone!

0 comments: