Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Saying Goodbye



I had the choice opportunity to say goodbye to my grandpa yesterday afternoon.

He had slipped into a coma the night before and my grandma had asked that only her children come to the hospital. They were able to spend 12 hours with him before my grandma allowed the grandchildren to come up and say goodbye. The doctors gave him about 72 hours.

I was able to hug and kiss him goodbye, tell him how much I loved him, and how grateful I was for his example, and our shared experiences. I told him I was so very grateful that he was MY grandpa and that if given the chance I couldn't possibly choose a better grandpa than him and my maternal grandpa who died about eight years ago.

He died at about 1:20 AM February 5, 2007. His passing was peaceful, just a quiet slowing of breath. I was so grateful to hear that because he had been struggling for so long to breathe past all the fluid in his lungs, I am glad it was peaceful, it eases my heart to know he didn't struggle at the end.

I will miss him for the rest of my life and look forward to meeting him again in the afterlife.

I am comforted by the thought that my daughter now has both of her great-grandfathers. In my prayers I asked her to go find him and welcome him home.

Continued prayers for my grandmother and the family are much appreciated.

0 comments: