Friday, April 11, 2008

DUP Tribute to my Grandma


(Note-Grandma claims she sat up there and smiled the whole time, but I only have ONE picture of her smiling and it turned out so dark you can barely see her dangit)

DUP stands for Daughters of the Utah Pioneers.

In order to belong to the DUP your ancestors have to belong to one of the original pioneer companies that came to Utah. All four of my grandparents have pioneer ancestors.

The DUP is all about geneology, history, and sharing the stories of the families who crossed the plains, many of them dying along the way. It is made up predominantly of women my Grandmother's age although there are a few "Young" ones in their sixties or so.

I have to admit the meeting was rather fun. We sang pioneer songs, learned about pioneer dishes and glassware, and then the tribute to my Grandma.

My Grandma is 79 years old, her life, her children, her hobbies were highlighted. Pictures of her family were shown, and some of her handicrafts. The family put on a program. One Aunt did the display, another Aunt gave a talk. My mom sang my grandma's favorite song with her guitar, my sister and I sang "Moments to Remember", and my sister played her flute, and that was it. No one ever asks me to play my french horn, why do you supposed that is? LOL




We all went to dinner dinner together, then took her back home, I think she thought it was going to be embarrassing to sit up there and have her life on display, but I don't think it was as bad as she expected and I think she enjoyed being queen for a day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your grandma!

Liz said...

That is *so* cool!