Saturday, October 10, 2009

Mini Quiche Review

I got a wild hare today and decided to make Quiche for lunch.


I love quiche, but aside from a very BADLY failed attempt at it in Jr. High cooking class, I have never tried to make it. After all, if a Jr. High kid can screw it up, it must be hard to make right?

WRONG!

I found this recipe at RecipeZaar.com

Leftover’s Blender Quiche
• 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup cooked and cubed chicken meat or ham or bacon
• 1/2 cup frozen zucchini or spinach or broccoli, cooked
• 3 eggs
• 1/2 cup baking mix
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 dash garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Directions
1Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 Generously grease a 9 inch pie pan.
3 Spread shredded cheese across bottom of pie pan.
4 Cover cheese with meat and vegetables.
5 In a blender, combine eggs, baking mix, salt, garlic powder, onions, parsley, and milk.
6 Blend until smooth, then add olive oil.
7 Blend until combined, then pour mixture over meat and vegetable layer.
8 Sprinkle with paprika.
9 Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes.
10 Cool 10 minutes before serving.

I made mine in muffin tins and baked at 375 for 20-25 min.

The thing I loved most about it was the fact that I had all the ingredients, I didn't have to run to the store for anything. No exotic ingredients like asparagus or half and half or any of those other crazy things I never have in my house.


I used fresh green onions, and dried parsley, colby jack cheese, and broccoli. I also added a little Lawry's Season Salt because I am my mother's daughter and nothing comes out of this kitchen without a little Lawry's in it.


I let the boys help, they took turns filling the muffin cups with cheese, ham, and broccoli, and they each cracked an egg into the bowl.

First impression right out of the oven, they look a little greasy. I hope they aren't slimy.


First taste- light and fluffy, not slimy, not even oily. I did use less oil than called for, and will probably use even less the next time I make them.


Two out of three boys, and one mom, gave them a thumbs up.


PF gave it a less enthusiastic so/so but the boy has the flu, so take that for what it's worth.


The best part about this recipe? This totally inept cook made them without any trouble at all! We will definitely be making these again!

4 comments:

Liz said...

They look delicious.

Julie said...

They look pretty yummy to me but then that's one of my favorites!

Shanae said...

Mmmm... I'll have to try these, although pretty sure they aren't cholesterol friendly :)

VanC said...

Oooo! Way yummy!!
I made them with an all purpose Gluten Free Baking mix that you can sub cup for cup for flour and it worked!! thanks so much!!Love ya!