Friday, October 9, 2009

Quilt Festival





Park City Girl is hosting a quilt festival, come join in the fun!

For my quilt I am going to show my mini quilt. I am proud of this quilt. It's the first quilt I have ever 100% finished all by myself (I usually beg my mom to do my bindings for me).


I started it out for a "Thumbelina" quilt contest. Considering it was my first pieced quilt, I didn't expect much, but I was proud of myself for doing something I didn't believe I could do. Not only did I piece blocks, but I pieced 3" blocks and had to convert the patterns down from 12" blocks. I chose the blocks by myself from a website of free block patterns and chose where to lay them out and the colors etc.


I worked on this quilt while my grandfather was very ill in the hospital. Working on the tiny blocks occupied my mind and helped me fill time between phone calls to the hospital to check on his progress. Sadly, my grandpa passed away and now when I see this quilt, I think of him. I miss him.


More amazing things about this quilt, it won the contest at the quilt shop, and later won a blue ribbon at the state fair. It's name is Validation and it is truly that.



Now that you have seen my quilt, head on over to Park City Girl and join in on the fun!

25 comments:

Jan said...

You should be proud of this quilt, it's great.

Zonnah said...

So tiny and cute!

Shawn said...

What a sweet quilt, wonderful work!

Carla said...

I love mini quilts. Yours is it great!

DottieLou said...

nice work... you hang at the quilt shows and Ill hang at the digi scrapbook events and life will be good

Julie said...

I didn't heard about the quilt fest! When does it end???

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you left a message on my blog...I haven't been through the festival quilts just yet. Your little quilt is adorable! It looks so big in the one photo but I could see just how wonderfully tiny it is in the others. Your decorating is so me! I hope you'll go through my older post and you'll see some similiar things.

Unknown said...

What an awesome story to go along with your great quilt. Its so nice to have things serve so many purposes for us.

Jean said...

This is so pretty...I have only ever done one mini...they look like fun.

hetty said...

Lovely mini quilt! You can be proud! Turning 12in blocks into 3in blocks is not easy!

tooznie said...

Awesome job! Congratulations on winning the blue!!

Heather said...

You won, too! Love all the tiny blocks.

Kelli said...

I love Minis! You did such a fantastic job!

Dee said...

Doggone it...I wish all the quilt stories would not mean so much to the quilters, that their hearts didn't come out so much in the stories. Yours is heartwarming and I'm so glad I took the time to come by. The mini is a giant, huge, enormous success in my book! Congrats on the wins and thanks for sharing!

Rene' said...

Great job on the entire process of making this quilt. Congratulations on the awards. I love the name of your quilt too. Thanks for sharing.

Roslyn said...

I have made hundreds of 3' blocks for Bonnie Hunter's[quiltville.com] mysteries so I know how challenging it is to keep mini blocks accurate. nice work!

Anonymous said...

What a great mini-quilt. You did wonderful job.

stitchinpenny said...

what a cute little sampler quilt!

Rhondi said...

Congratulations on the ribbons. It is a very pretty quilt!

quiltmom anna said...

Good for you to finish your quilt all on your own- it is a wonderful piece. It is challenging to shrink the proportions of the blocks.
Congratulations on the ribbons - I am sure your grandfather would be very proud of your work.
Thanks for sharing,
Regards,
Anna

Dresden Quilter said...

What a beautiful mini. You did a great job of sizing the blocks. Congratulations on your ribbons.

Jocelyn said...

Congratulations on your win! Very pretty quilt. I love the color combination.

Deborah said...

Great quilt and way to remember your grandfather. It's almost as if the fingers are stitching the love from the heart into the quilt.

Vicki said...

darling!

Anonymous said...

Every stitch is a journey. Every quilt is an odyssey. I LOVE your mini and your story. The magic and meaning a quilt holds is silent but powerful. Nice job! Thanks for sharing. ; )