Thursday, April 1, 2010

Shortcuts are overrated!

It looks simple, I think to myself, as I chose the pattern to make a new table topper for my living room coffee table.


Cut out 64 2 1/2" squares it says. So I do, and I lay them out, and I think....I don't really like that! I think the blue, and the dark green, is throwing it off. So I start over. And I think, HEY! I will take a shortcut (aka strip piecing the squares)!

Yeah, the shortcut didn't work out so well. I can't even tell you how many times I unpicked and resewed that little green and white checkerboard section, and it still has a mistake and guess what? I am calling it my Amish humility square! I can't take it anymore!


This quilt took me two solid days to make and it's only 32" square! It's a good thing I am happy with how it turned out because I do not have happy memories of my time spent making this quilt.

If you want to torture yourself making this cute pattern, it's called "Sunny All Around" and it's from the Spring 2010 Quilts and More. Just don't try to take shortcuts and you should be fine.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You amaze me!!

momofa2e said...

You are SOOO talented! I'm jealous.

Amy Sorensen said...

it turned out cute though! (I hate unpicking. I would almost rather toss the whole *&*#! thing and start over!)

Julie said...

It turned out so cute and what great colors!

Cynthia said...

You did a great job on that! I like the fabrics.

I had my 'sewing project from Hell' last fall. I made 10 pettiskirts for my sister's Jr. High Ballroom Dance Team. I think I processed over 2,000 of nylon chiffon through my machine. I'm supposed to teach another pettiskirt class for Cotton Shop but I can't bring myself to even LOOK at the skirts again!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

I love it! Great color choices, too. You did a wonderful job!!

BTW, I didn't pass up the cherry fabric.... :) I made a blouse with it. Isn't that fabric toooooooo cute? You should get you some!!

Hope you are doing better!!

((hugs))
Becky

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Those quilts are gorgeous! Learning to quilt is on my list of things to do someday. So pretty!

XOXO
Jen