Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Feelin' Stitchy

It's that time of year again! Our semi-annual girls sewing weekend! A couple of times per year my mom, sister, and I get together for a sewing weekend. Sadly, my poor sister was sick this year, but between the three of us, we managed to get her top finished.

We take turns choosing a pattern to make. It was my turn this round and I chose to make Candy Bar Pinwheels by Antler Quilt Designs for Moda Bake Shop. Click the link for the free pattern!

Here is a picture of my top. I loooooooooove it!

I really wish I had a picture of my mom's top, hers is absolutely gorgeous, it's in darker reds, blues, greens. Mom is a fan of the darker shades. Her quilt more closely resembles the quilt on the pattern page.

My sister and I both went bright. Since this quilt is made with a candy bar, and we didn't have one, we bought a charm pack of Moda's Dream On and cut it in half and we each had a candy bar =0)

While at my mom's we were talking about what we are going to do for our next sewing day (Sometime around April 2011). Mom had a pattern for a pin cushion bag, and since my sister is a new sewer, I decided to test the pattern first to see how beginner friendly it was before we tackled it.
I'm happy to say that it's a fairly simple pattern to make. It took me all day to make this but I was trying to make two at a time, and coming off a migraine, so don't let that intimidate you! But hey, if I can sew this with a massive headache and not totally screw it up, it has to be pretty easy right?



I did, of course, manage to get my flower center (aka the pin cushion) way off center. So typical of me, now matter how hard I try, I'm crooked LOL



I love this little pocket for my scissors and thread!


This should work perfectly on the arm of the couch when I'm working on my Grandmother's Flower Garden! No more having to dig through the couch cushions to find my scissors! No more little piles of thread clippings that inevitably wind up on the floor.


Cherries and Cherry blossoms, it's so ME don't you think?
I have a few more mug rugs to share, but that's a post for another day =0)