Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I Hold Heidi Responsible!

About six months (or more, maybe even a year) ago, there was a thread on two peas asking who had updated their blogs lately. I clicked on the link of one of the reponders and found one of my all time favorite blogs to read.

Her name is Heidi, and she has a blog called Vacuuming In High Heels And Pearls. I was sucked in, I laughed, I giggled, I drooled over all of her amazing vintage/thrifted finds and I started to yearn. It's all Heidi's fault!!

I held off for a long time. Really I did, but this past week I was coming back from the city and had to drive right past the thrift store (there isn't one really very close to me). And told DH since we were there, I would really like to stop.

That is the day I found my beautiful vintage pyrex bowls (I still have them sitting down here on my sewing table where I can admire them frequently).

Then I went back two days ago, because I remembered that Amanda Jean from Crazy Mom Quilts likes to use vintage sheets for her quilt backs. I had to go see if there were any sheets I liked. I found one that was ok, but I didn't really love it and since it was $3 I decided to leave it.

Then today... I started to thinking.... I should have just bought it. What was my hold up. I didn't buy it on priciple because they raised the prices of their sheets when they moved to the new location (Along with the price of everything else grrrr).


Anyway, I went back today to get the sheet, didn't get it again because I decided that while it is vintage, I just don't really like it that much. So I wandered around for a while, found LOTS of things I loved but since I trying to declutter my home, didn't grab many. I did get two vintage sheets that I do like (just not the one I originally went after) and two pillow cases that I am going to cut up to piece a pillow for my bed. And.... another vintage pyrex bowl, it is pea green with little flowers on it. So cute! Then as I was turning to leave there it was... I swear I heard angels singing.



A headboard. An OLD....VERY OLD headboard. So old that the nails are hand made!!!
It's very victorian, and in amazing shape. I am going to paint it white and it will be so beautiful in my shabby chic bedroom.

The problem? It's queen sized. My bed... is a king. Luckily I have a very handy hubby who will be able to alter it, without damaging it, and make it fit my king size bed without even being able to tell that that isn't how it always was. And if you are an antique freak, never fear, it will be able to go back to the way it was with no one the wiser of it ever having been altered.

The best part? My beautiful, gorgeous, everything I have always wanted headboard was $25!

Oh, and just in case you wanted to see, here are some pictures of my thrifted linnens.

I love this one, I thought for sure it was a table cloth because of the pattern and it is a very heavy fabric. It has a couple of yellow stains on it, and me being new to thrifted linnens, what can I use to get the spots out? Anyway, sadly it was a sheet and the pattern is only across the top 1/4 of the sheet, but I think it would make a really cute window valance.




And these are the others.

And with that...DH has once again grounded me from the thrift store *HUGE SIGH*

I used to go all the time and bring home furniture for him to reupholster. He told me about a year ago that he will NEVER reupholster another piece of furniture...don't even ask. Rats!

Hope you all had a good day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous!!! I never find good deals like that. You lucky girl!!!

Elizabeth

Amanda Jean said...

wow! what great finds!!! that headboard is gorgeous.

Unknown said...

That headboard is INCREDIBLE!! Be sure to show us what it looks like when it's all finished. I love that first sheet with the roses--pretty!