Monday, March 3, 2008

Weekend Away

I was able to take PF, and K and go "home" for the weekend to visit my family. PK stayed here with MIL for the weekend.

I haven't been able to see my Grandma since Grandpa's funeral a month ago and I have been worried about her. Worried about her well being and how she is holding up as a newly widowed woman. I needed to see her, to reassure myself that she is still here and doing well. So I asked B if he would mind if the boys and I went away for the weekend.

We rode up with my parents and they took me to my sister's house where the boys and I would stay then they were going to go take my Grandma out to dinner. Since we wouldn't be able to visit that night anyway, my sister and I took the opportunity to do our favorite thing...go shopping!

We started out at "The Book Table" which is a gross understatement of a name if I have ever seen one! This store sells EVERYTHING...and books. Every time we turned a corner I was shocked that there was yet more to see. Not only does is this a full fledged book store, it also has a full musical instrument store, a full toy store, and a full scrapbook store in it.

We headed straight for the scrapbook section where we proceeded to buy a little chipboard Cherish sign each. Then we bought roughly 50 sheets of scrapbook paper to cover our little tiny signs in. What can we say, we need options LOL.

After the book table we went to the DI, a local church run thrift store. We didn't find any BIG bargains like my beautiful headboard , and we didn't find any vintage Pyrex, but we did find some fun things.

I got a cute nautical sign for PK's bedroom. A fun tin sign for my living room, a green sweater that I am going to make a bed pillow out of, a little red tin planter, and a vintage silver bell with the most gorgeous star pattern on the top. I also got a package of magazine holders for $1 and you can never have too many of those! The red pears and cherries are a gift from my sister, gleaned from the huge bag of fruit that she got for $.75. She is going to decoupage them, I can't wait to see how they turn out.



This white cabinet is from a previous visit to my local DI but I never took a picture of it. I want to put cut crystal knobs on it and hang it in my sewing room to hold sewing supplies and maybe a little quilt or two draped over the bars. I got it for $5


On sunday I was able to go to brunch with my parents and both of my grandmothers. I was very flattered when we walked to our table and I asked my grandma "Where do you want to sit?" and she said "By you" it made me feel really good that she wanted to sit by me. We had a great lunch and a great visit at my grandma's house afterwards. Sometimes I hate being so far away from them and sad that I only get to see them every couple of months. I am jealous of my sister and my cousin's who live right there and can visit any time, but at the same time I am glad that I live here, close to the major hospitals where people have somewhere to stay when someone is in the hospital.

Most of all I feel blessed to live so close to the hospitals because it would have really been awful for those months that the boys were in the hospital if we didn't live within driving distance. (Not to mention their first several years when we were in and out of the hospital on a regular basis) There were families there from out of state who were going bankrupt trying to stay near their sick children. Even the Ronald McDonald house is expensive when you have to be there for an extended time.

I hope you all had a great weekend and were able to do something fun. I can't wait to get started on my Cherish sign. Chat with you later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I come shopping with you? You find the neatest things!! I'm never so lucky.

I'm glad you were able to spend time with your family. My Grandfather passed away on 2/21. I haven't been to see my Grandma since the funeral. I'm going to be seeing her soon though.

Elizabeth

Louise said...

I agree with Elizabeth-- you are lucky on the thrifting! Love the nautical sign.